Real showstopper sports enormous flowers!
Seldom offered and often difficult to come by, Sir Alf Ramsey truly stands out wherever this very special dahlia is used. Its upright, fast-growing, 42" stems are strong enough to carry its massive but elegant 10--12" flower heads from midsummer until the first frost of fall. The lush, lavender-pink fully double blooms have white centres and are packed with layer after layer of beautifully formed petals. With its outrageous size, amazing colouring and unsurpassed form, it's easy to understand why this dahlia—named for a celebrated English football player and manager---has been a favourite in our test and show gardens. Ideal in back of a border or a presentation garden. For even larger blooms, try pinching secondary buds!
- Botanical Name: Dahlia 'Sir Alf Ramsey'
- Form: Perennial
- Hardiness Zone: 3-10
- Flowering Time: Midsummer until first frost in the fall.
- Light Requirements: Full Sun
- Flower Color: Lavender-pink with white center
- Flower Form: 10-12", fully double flowers
- Foliage Type: Pinnate leaves with ovate leaflets
- Growth Rate: Medium
- Height/Habit: 42 inches
- Spread: 24 - 36 inches
- Planting Instructions: 2" deep and 24" apart
- Soil Requirements: Well drained
- Will Tolerate: Acidic Soil, Clay Soil, Loamy Soil, Sandy Soil
- Pruning: Pinching of the secondary bud will produce larger flowers.