- Annual hybrid with large, shaggy blooms
- Summer blooms with a multitude of colors from easy to grow seeds
- Thrives in bright, sunny growing areas
- LIFE CYCLE:Annual
- LIGHT REQUIREMENT:Full Sun
- PLANTING SEASON:Spring
- DAYS TO MATURITY:60-90 Days
- PLANT HEIGHT:24 inches
- PLANT SPACING:6-8 inches
- PLANTING DEPTH:1/8 inch
- SOWING METHOD:Direct Sow
- WATER NEEDS:Average
- COLD STRATIFICATION:No
- SEEDS PER POUND:204, 200
- HARDINESS ZONES:3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- SHIPS:Year Round
- PLANT TYPE:Shaggy Double Blooms, Upright Habit, Branching Stems
- FEATURES:Open Pollinated, Attracts Pollinators, Container Garden, Easy to Grow & Maintain, Cut Flower Garden
- BLOOMS:Summer, Late Summer, Early Fall, Fall
How to Plant Ostrich Feather Asters
WHEN TO PLANT ASTER SEEDS
Plant outdoors after the last frost of the season or start indoors 6-8 weeks before the last frost date.
WHERE TO PLANT ASTER SEEDS
Plant in moist, nutrient dense, well draining soils that are exposed to full sun (6-8 hours of sun per day) to partial shade (4-6 hours of sun per day). Do not plant Asters in areas where the soil readily dries out.
HOW TO PLANT ASTER SEEDS
When sowing outdoors, spread the seeds across the surface of moistened soil. Repeat this several times every 10-14 days and keep the soil moistened to ensure an extended blooming season. When grown indoors, transplant into the garden 6-8 inches apart.
HOW TO CARE FOR ASTERS
Asters are easy to maintain. Do not allow soils to dry out. Mulching around each plant can both keep weeds down as well as aid in moisture retention. Taller flower stalks may need to be staked to keep them from falling over. Keep from crowding asters together wherever possible to allow for better airflow between plants. Plant in different locations each year to reduce the risk of spreading potential pests or diseases.